Tuesday, February 1, 2011

TIA, y'all. | This is Africa

I have been trying to write this post for a week, but there’s an overwhelming amount to talk about and no way to give all the details without making it extremely long. So, in the interest of my sanity and your time, here’s a list:

In the past week I...
-Conquered jet lag
-Settled into Kimberley House
-Visited four museums and Parliament
-Toured the townships
-Heard more bad American ‘90s music than I ever heard in the ‘90s
-Searched for real coffee (which is sadly hard to find)
-Experienced “African time”
-Took some extremely cold showers
-Met the founder of Dance for All
-Went to University of the Western Cape International Orientation
-Registered for classes (sat in the queue for two hours)
-Got my student ID (sat in the queue for over two hours)
-Went to the beach
-Went to a rugby game
-Went to the farmer’s market
-Went grocery shopping (more difficult than it sounds)
-Got lost at UWC (about three different times)
-Learned (the hard way) how to hail a legit taxi
-Stumbled upon an impromptu drum circle
-Learned some African dance moves
-Sampled Cape Town night life
-Sampled Cape Town cuisine (springbok, kudu, ox tail, ostrich, and traditional beer)
-Made some great friends from the Midwest and from South Africa!

I’ll go more in-depth in entries to come. We’re finalizing our schedules this week, and I’ll have my first class tomorrow. I’m auditioning for the choir today, though I’m afraid I won’t actually be able to participate because of my schedule and transportation issues. I’m considering adding another class, because, for those of you who don’t already know, I thrive on a completely full schedule. I’ll start at my service site next week.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. that all sounds so good!!
    bon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if by thrive you mean run-around-like-a-headless-chicken, then yeah.

    a very organized, productive headless chicken, that is.

    ReplyDelete